Thursday, June 29, 2017

My little one, you are here at last, Africa is blessed to have you.



A month or so before you were conceived, my womb kept calling, I could cross a busy road just to go and carry a baby on the other side, I knew I was somewhat ready for you.

We talked about you, preconception, but for irreconcilable reasons, your father and I had to go our separate ways.

Then a month came and passed, listened to my body for the usual “that time of the month” cues, I wasn’t sure my body was telling me anything, so off to the chemist I went  - the lines came back 2.

My brain has a weird way of processing news, both good and bad, the magnitude of the news normally hits me much later, way later…and so, did the news of your arrival.

It was on a Saturday.

Those who know me will tell you that you changed me for the better; I became happier, still am. Bad news never seem to get to me, not anymore, I became more tolerant to divergent views and opinions even to actions that would initially get me all worked up, became patient and hopeful, you brought positive energy into my life.

You were a calm one, from the word go, no mood swings, no cravings, just a bigger belly and a happy soul.

You make me happy.

On October 22nd at 10:47 am, you kicked, on a Saturday - it was your first.

That feeling remained with me for days, I looked forward to more of your kicks.


 We talked a lot; you became my constant companion, we started mulling over how our future would pan out, I started making plans on how our weekends will be our bonding sessions, the way we would go to Arboretum and soak in the peace that nature brings, how we will go to church and adore Jesus with you in the chapel, how we will visit relatives together, how I will introduce you to the world of computer programming, how I will ask you questions; not to get an answer but to pick your mind how you approach questions, to understand the logic behind your answers, how we will farm together , how we will find satisfaction and comfort in each other.

On March 7th at 5 am, you came; your cries filled the theater, they showed me your balls before I saw your face, the heir apparent, the one who would perpetuate the Minto Dynasty , I knew I loved you already, I had carried you in my heart and womb for 39 weeks 2 days, I was ready to carry you in my arms and heart.

Watching you is my new hobby. Until I met you, I did not know love this intense existed, am intoxicated and obsessed with you, dangerously in love with you, you are my world.

Sleeping next to me so tiny, I already see a man developing a mind of his own; very active, very loving, rejects not anyone, allows every visitor to carry him.

Listening to your baby talks- your abujubuju buju :-)- fills me with so much joy, you fill my heart with so much love, hope and positivity.

Sometimes, I wonder what crosses your mind, I wonder what wags your soul.

When our eyes lock, I see heaven, sometimes when you look at me, direct and tender the way you lovingly do, I feel as though you can read my thoughts, my mind and heart. When you trace my facial features as you frequently do, I want your small fingers to never leave my face, when you go into your corner and switch yourself off to the noise of the world, sometimes you look sad and in that moment, my heart breaks.
When you kick your tiny legs to the recognition of my voice, when the touch of my hand calms you down, when you hold me as though your life depends on it, you enrich my life in ways I never knew was possible.

Because of you, I have met some of the most incredible people
Because of you, I have experienced love from total strangers
Because of you, I have become more considerate and understanding to people I meet
Because of you, my life is full of possibilities
Because of you, my life is rich and full of hope
Because of you, my dreams scare me
Because of you, I have learnt to reach out to others when I feel like am drowning and be there for others who are hurting
Because of you, my life has a purpose
Because of you, I let Go and let God.

Thank you.

“He will be one great man”, my uncle quipped when I told him I have named you after him, the love in his voice moved me to tears, and great you will be, because I believe him.

Our journey has just began my dear one, a lot still lays ahead, through it all, we will soldier on and keep each other grounded.

Welcome to the world once again, be a man of character, of principle, of integrity and open your heart to love.

May the world be kind to you, may your life be rich.

                                           <3

2 comments:

  1. Wow!Such a beautiful piece Minto. May God guide him and bless you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so brutally sweet with your words Minto . The little man is surely born on of a Lioness , a wordsmith , a femme fatale who got both beauty and brains . Long live little man , you're loved and adored by us all

    ReplyDelete